Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Aphids Part...I Can't keep up.

So I sprayed the neem. I made sure to avoid where I had seen the parasitic fly.  Because it is an oil compound I made sure to spray at night. I want to avoid all the leaf burn that occured with the soap sprays.  This morning however I went out and lo and behold
See that little wormy guy up at the top? I think that's a nymph of some sort of lace wing bug guy.  I immediately felt terrible that I might have killed these good guys. I went through the garden picking up leaves that were heavily infested.  I found several more mummified aphids (at least three), a few more parasitic wasps, and some of these wormy/guys.  I picked up a whole gallon baggie of gross aphid plants.  I then inspected EACH ONE for the beneficials. I pulled each one off with my scissors and deposited them back to the plant to keep their munching.

I have mixed feelings about my neem purchase.  I don't want to kill these delicate beneficials but until today I have barely had any beneficials and mostly lost aphids.  I did spray a second round on the lentils because they are baby plants, read delicious to bugs, and I did not find a single aphid eater in here.  Perhaps with the neem oil knocking down a few of the aphids it lets my beneficials catch up and knock down. If the neem oil did not kill the beneficials but kept a few of the aphids under control I might come out ahead and even get one or two cucke's before this year is out.

No comments:

Post a Comment