Sunday, October 27, 2013

GALECK, GALECK

Garlic, if there was ever to be an alien space invader made of kitchen tools I hope they have tons of GALECK

But in the mean time I preparing for my first garlic winter.  I grew garlic once in Fl. It was initially an amazing success, followed closely by unmitigated disaster. Not a single garlic in the pots or garden. However the year after I moved to Tucson my old roommate called me up "Hey, remember your garden? Garlic and Peppers seem to be growing like crazy over there!".  So while I did not get to enjoy the bulbs of my labor at least I know they were delicious eventually. Garlic makes my favorite i feel like crap dinners , Sopa de Ajo (from my FAVORITE cookbook, Clarita's Cocina-check it out) so I am definitely motivated to try again.

I started out at the AZGardenForum.  http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/azgard/msg0920362827535.html Turns out there is a bunch that goes into garlic. I am planning on doing a grocery store planting since so many of the garlic I buy already sprout when I forget them in the fridge.  So I'm pretty sure they are not sprayed with any retardant. So while my formal plan is to just shop and plop  I thought it would be nice to find some more out about Garlic to help with good planning on where it should go.

AH: Mother Earth News Fill us in: what do you know, the best kind for braiding :) Turns out these babies won't be ready till next summer.  Harvest time is when about half the leaves turn a yellowish color.  I need to figure out how to mark these guys as different from my chives, because they look similar. (My second test to identify plants after looking is tasting and they taste too similar for me to accurately identify between the two with any confidence)

Companion Issues: (and my NEW C.P. List) Plays poorly with Peas/Beans (Hmm, my chives are near the mystery beans, note to self to check on that later!) But it also plays VERY well with other plants turns out it is a "natural fungicide"  It is often grown with Roses to combat Aphids (see pests). It is also grown with fruit trees! (Who knew? not me!) They also support a lot of winter veggies, beets, and cabbages.


Pests: the reason Garlic is such an awesome companion plant is because it is supposed to help repel insects.  In fact in the War on Aphids, I considered making a Garlic Spray as one of my attempts to combat the gross lil devils. (I ended up making Tomato Spray because that was what was in the house). The lady at Arbico-Organics noted that the small flowers on herbs tend to attract lots of beneficials so I bet Garlic would as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment